Wednesday 17 November 2010

Big news

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. As yesterday laid down to rest and today was only just beginning, the Tiger Bay Brawlers travel team was announced. It's an exciting time to be a Brawler and I'm so proud and excited for everyone who made it, but I was hit by what felt like the emotional equivalent of seven hip checks from Gotham Girls' Beyonslay. I've known for a while that I wouldn't be able to skate because of having laser eye surgery before Christmas and the recovery period, but I guess I hadn't really accepted the reality of it. I did try to plan the surgery around when I speculated our first bout would be, and informed the coach that I'd like to be able to skate if possible but it's all been planned at pretty short notice and so hasn't worked out for me. I'm so bummed.

No-one likes a whinger though, so I'd better chin up and tell you about the silver lining to this enormous black cumulonimbus. Firstly, as I will be spending a few days either side of Christmas doing sweet F.A. I volunteered to be on the bout organising committee, and landed myself the job of Event Organiser/Director/Manager/Whatever. It's a bit intimidating and a lot of responsibility, but I'm so into it. If I can't skate int he first TBB bout, I think organising the whole shebang comes in a close second in terms of achievement- if it all goes well.

Also, I have new wheels. I've been hankering after a slim wheel for a while now but the price of importing is ridiculous, and the choice of wheels you can buy in the UK are pretty darn expensive too. Luckily for me the lovely little skater formerly known as RockNLola (until someone else registered it on the twoevils master roster) recently went to the states and picked me up some Atom Omegas which cost me £52 for 8. So far I've only skated half a session on them and they seem pretty good.

The night before I got them I had been to a roller disco in Southampton for Peril Flynn's birthday, and got in some good practice at hopping under the guise of dancing, and I'm hoping having slim wheels will only help my agility more. Which reminds me, here's a tip: NEVER EVER SKATE WITHOUT KNEE PADS. You can't trust other people not to knock you over and as a derby girl you will only ever fall on your knees. Suffice to say that was a lesson well learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment